The ticking clock heralds the passing of time.
Endless, monotonous minutes creep through the hallways of the mind and the labyrinth of the soul where men are left to face himself and his irresistible compulsions. These unspoken forces drive our deepest desires and fuel our most profound fears. We are powerless in front of them, just as we are powerless in the face of the march of time. Do you hear it?They call for you in the midnight hour, whispering in your mind’s ears the most secret of secrets. Do you see it?They appear to you from the corner of your eye, beckoning you to follow them down the rabbit hole.
The clock chimes. It’s time to listen up and follow suit. Will you come seek us in the darkened rooms filled with echoes of the past? Will you dance with us under the garish mercury moon? Will take our hands and join us through the Longest Night?
Welcome to the “Longest Night” Challenges where we explore men’s deepest fears and desires until he comes face to face with his most irrational and terrible fate.
Five O’clock: Pyromania
Fire has fascinated mankind since we first discovered its power. Pyromania is an impulse disorder which drives affected individuals to deliberately start fires. This is distinct from arson because the fires were not started for financial, personal or political gains. First recognized as a distinctive mental disease in the early 1800’s, the pyromaniac derives pleasure and euphoria from starting fires and watching it burn, and suffers from withdrawal symptoms if he is prevented from starting fires. They are often hospitalized due to accidental, but self-inflicted burns.
Notable example: Elizabeth Sedgewick, who was burned at the stake in 1787, may be one of the earliest convicted multiple fire-setter who was punished for her crimes. Her motives were stated as being an “irresistible compulsion”.
Coming up: Six O'clock - Alone in a Crowd
1. You have to be a member of our group to enter the contest.
Not a member? Click "Join the Group" on our homepage Madmen-Asylum
2. All visual media is allowed. No Lit entries, sorry.
3. Start date: 1st of October End date: 31st of October time zone PDT
4. New entries only. Your deviation have to be submitted from 1st of October to 31st of October.
5. Add to top of your description what your work was done for our group contest. Something like this will be fine:
"This is my entry to the @madmen-asylum The Longest night Contest [link] "
6. Entry have to be your own. No line arts, no bases.
For photomanipulations: If there was used any resource (such as stock photographs or textures) they have to be credited in your descriptions.
If there are collaborations the prize will be given to just one of the participants and then they'll have to divide it.
7. All entries have to fit our group theme. Please keep in mind, we all are mad here.
8. One winner if there were 1-15 entries. Two winners if there were 15-30 entries, etc. The judges, however, do not count as participants. We are here to give you a form of suggestion/guidance/inspiration.
9. You can enter as many as you want but you can win just once.